Career Counseling & Service Top > Career Workshops
Career Counseling and Services (CC&S)
September - November 2011
Events and Deadlines
For details and descriptions see the career board on campus (schedule subject to change)
Please note that some of the workshops occur before the Welcoming Ceremony! Please plan for this in making your travel arrangements. MANDATORY individual coaching sessions will also be scheduled on September and October dates by appointment for those who qualify for career support. See below for how to prepare.
Pre-Fall Term sessions September 19 (Monday) through September 30 (Friday)
The following Workshops, Sessions and Deadlines will be offered to incoming students before the Welcome Ceremony!
Coming in October
- September 19, 1:30-3pm CC&S Overview and Career Exploration Workshop
- September 20, 3-4pm IUJ Resume Book and Resume Writing Workshop - please get started on the draft early using IUJ's template
- September 28, 10-12noon How to Apply to an opening, including Business Letter writing
- September 30, 1-3pm Interview skills and Pracitce
- September 30, 3-5pm Job Hunting skills for business and world organizations
Before Oct 21 incoming students needing career support should meet individually with the Career Counselor
By Appointment - CC&S Office
One-on-One career coaching for Career preparation and Resume Development (SIGN UP). Mandatory
- Interviewing with Japanese Companies, date TBA
- Resources in the Library for Career Counseling & Services, date TBA
- Alumni Career Panels - October 14, Careers in Finance
Resume Book 1st deadline Mondday, Sept. 26 CC&S Office or after the Workshop (Tentative)
Resume Book FINAL deadline Thursday, October 6 1pm - CC&S Office (Tentative)
- This is a time for us to get to know each other and start your internship/career planning. Hopefully you have already completed the CareerLeader.com survey and we can discuss those results as well. Bring your worksheets handed out in the Career Exploration Workshop, and be prepared to being developing your internship/job hunt plan and discuss these questions:
- What do you want to do for an internship and job?
- What is your career plan for after IUJ and what do you need to do now to reach that goal?
- What do you see as the most effective way to work together with your career coach to reach your goal?
- Why did you choose IUJ for your graduate education?
- What are your strengths and when/how did you demonstrate them?
- What is your greatest accomplishment before coming to IUJ?
FINAL deadline for the IUJ Resume Book: PERFECT and result-oriented documents
Sessions that will be offered during Fall Term are:
Coming in Winter Term IUJ Main On-Campus Recruiting Season
Other sessions tentatively planned are:
- How to Write an Effective Cover Letter - 2nd session - advanced
- How to Write a "Project Proposal" for internships and other applications
- Project Proposal Writing session TWO: specific examples and styles
- Interview practice - MOCK interviews in English with feedback
- Interview Skills refresher course
- Case Study Interview Skills
- Careers in International Organizations
- Considering a PhD
- Alumni Career Panel II: Careers in Consulting - Marketing
- Alumni Career Panel III: Careers in IT and Internet
- Alumni Career Panel IV: General job hunting techniques and advice, how to prepare while at IUJ, the importance of Japanese, etc.
- Careers at the Inter-American Development Bank, ADB and World Bank